Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Teenage Brain: A Neuroscientist's Survival Guide to Raising Adolescents and Young Adults
Frances E. Jensen, Amy Ellis Nutt, Tavia Gilbert
Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain (Audio)
David Eagleman

Reading progress update: I've read 306 out of 978 pages.

A Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin

Not until 28% of the way into the narrative does the first sex scene appear, and here is what occurred to me:  how much I had NOT missed the sex scenes.  Not that I'm a prude or anything, but I tend to dislike them in general, and the ones in this series tend to have me alternating between cringing and rolling my eyes.  Just...  No.  At least it wasn't overly long (insert bad joke about various characters' "manhood" here).  This particular scene happened during my ten-mile run today, just as I was getting to the 8.5-mile mark.  Almost all the way home, and then THAT!

Another thing I've noticed is something my Google searches tell me I'm not alone in complaining about.  Roy Dotrice had originally been unavailable to record the audiobook, so a different narrator had been hired.  So many fans missed having Dotrice as narrator that he was brought in to re-record.  By then, it had been years since he'd narrated the first three books, and he'd actually already recorded the narration for the fifth, A Dance With Dragons.  So what I'm noticing is he suddenly changed his pronunciation of certain names.  "Catelyn" had always been "CAT-lynn" in his previous books, but now he's saying "KATE-lynn."  And while that's the way I'd expect the name to be pronounced based on its spelling, the fact that her father had always referred to her as "my little cat" supports the "CAT-lynn" reading.  I've always disliked his pronunciation of "Brienne" as "brye-EEN," and I'd prefer he'd go with the show's version ("bree-ENN"), as it does look like a French name.  But now, he's randomly switching between "brye-EEN," "BRYE-ihn" (like "Brian"), and "bree-ENN."  He's also unaccountably changed various characters' accents and speech patterns.  And I've read that in the fifth book, he makes Daenerys sound like an old lady, so I am not looking forward to that.

With all that said, I'm once again immersed in this world and eager to see how the various storylines play out.  It's interesting to get the perspectives of characters we've only seen through someone else's filter--Brienne and Asha, to name a couple of examples.  And Cersei's is quite an eye-opener.