Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
Mark Bramhall, Lev Grossman

Invisible

Invisible - Paul Auster

I was planning a long, thoughtful, and very thorough review of this.  I began a draft the very next morning after completing the audiobook (lying in bed listening to the last little bit and going into denial that it was suddenly over).  But then I put it aside and let too much time pass.  Gosh darn too much time passing.

You know the intro to Modern Family?  You have a moment of live action that suddenly freezes, and then the camera backs up to reveal the action frozen within the frame of a photograph someone is holding.  Then the scene that this photo-holding person is a part of also freezes, the camera backs up again, and freezes that moment into a photo frame.  This happens repeatedly, ending with a big group shot containing photos of photos of photos (kind of a hall-of-mirrors effect).  Invisible was a bit like this.  As I'd mentioned in an update, part one is revealed to be a manuscript that is being read 40 years after the actions taking place in it.  The next section of the manuscript picks up in the summer of 1967, switching from first person to second upon the advice of Part II's narrator.  Later still, the rest of the "1967" narrative (fall)  is told in third person, rendered by part-II narrator from the notes its author left for him.  A character who plays an important role in the events recounted from 1967 denies some of the claims it contains.  She still wants it to be published, but as fiction, with names and certain details changed.  We learn that what we have been reading contains the fictionalized names and details.  Finally, another person involved in the 1967 events reads the MS and adds her own details.

I love the overall effect of constantly reframing what has come before, so that I was stopping from time to time, thinking, "Wait a minute, WHAAATTTT?"  My only quibble is I wish there had been just one more part, or even a brief epitaph where narrator #2 reacts to the revelations that narrator #3 shares.