Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

Modern Romance
Aziz Ansari, Eric Klinenberg

The Winds of Winter: They are coming (but when?)

A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five - George R. R. Martin

So, now I've completed all five of the published books in the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series.  I really feel for the people who were reading the books as they came out, each time waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting) for the next installment to come out.  Having come to this series when these books were all already in print, I could always just finish one book and then move on to the next one (at least as soon as I was able to access it from the library).  But now?  Does anyone know when The Winds of Winter is supposed to drop?

According to George R. R. Martin, as he was writing A Feast for Crows, the story just got too big, so he ending up splitting it into two books:  A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons.  What this meant was that A Dance with Dragons did not pick up where A Feast for Crows left off, but instead backed up and told parallel stories from the perspective of characters not heard from in the fourth installment.  I saw much grumbling in AFfC reviews, over not hearing from those characters and having to wait until the next book to catch up.  While I did miss hearing from the subset of characters in question, I didn't mind waiting and just thinking of books four and five as one big book with some non-linear storytelling.  But admittedly, I had the advantage of being able to launch right into book five upon finishing book four.  Had I read these books as they were released, I probably would have been less sanguine.

As for this fifth installment, I enjoyed the way many of the separate story arcs began to come together.  There is one thing that made me scream NOOOOOOOO!!!!  But I don't want to spoil that.  Just...  Martin isn't afraid of killing his darlings, is he?  And as much as stories were coming together, much is still hanging in the balance, and how long must I wait in suspense?  Garrrrr!