Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Teenage Brain: A Neuroscientist's Survival Guide to Raising Adolescents and Young Adults
Frances E. Jensen, Amy Ellis Nutt, Tavia Gilbert
Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain (Audio)
David Eagleman

Somewhat Less May be More

One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories - B.J. Novak

When I was perhaps 75% of the way through this audiobook, I was enjoying it enough that I was on my way to giving it four stars.  However, as I got closer to the end, I hit sections that seemed like filler and sometimes just Novak being a little too cutesy--like when you reach a point where you might think any quirky thought that flits through your mind is hilarious and worth preserving.  This book might have benefited from a slightly more judicious editing/cutting process.  But for the most part, I did enjoy Novak's sense of humor and off-beat perspective.  The audiobook also featured a variety of guest voices, including Novak's fellow The Office alums Mindy Kaling (yay, Mindy!), Jenna Fischer, and Rainn Wilson, and it was fun hearing from them (as well as the other guest voices).  I'd recommend this for someone in the mood for short, humorous pieces and a bit of patience for the more self-indulgent moments.