Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Teenage Brain: A Neuroscientist's Survival Guide to Raising Adolescents and Young Adults
Frances E. Jensen, Amy Ellis Nutt, Tavia Gilbert
Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain (Audio)
David Eagleman

Evidently

There Was a Little Girl - Brooke Shields

Evidently, Brooke Shields loves the word "evidently."  For some reason, she uses it excessively.  At a certain point, I think it must have occurred to her that she was using the heck out of this word, and sometimes changed things up with "apparently."  But then she'd slide back to "evidently."

Anyway, I am two years younger than Shields, and I recall being fascinated by her during my tween/teen years.  She was everywhere, from movies to the cover of Seventeen magazine.  She seemed to have a charmed life, but then there was also controversy connected to her mother/manager Teri.  The book opens with Shields submitting her mother's obituary to the New York Times, only to receive a call to notify her that the paper intended to run an expanded obit on the front of the obituary section.  They just wanted some more information, which Shields reluctantly provided.  Next thing she knew, the paper ran what felt like a hatchet job.  Shields was enraged that a reporter who never even met her mother could be so vicious--and it occurred to her that something about Teri Shields must have triggered something in him.  Her reaction was to decide she wanted to write a book that would honestly explore what had made her mother the person she was and the many facets of their complicated relationship.

Overall, I enjoyed this memoir.  The narrative does not idealize Teri Shields, nor is it a Mommie Dearest-style attack.  Brooke Shields takes pain to be honest and open not only about her triumphs but also her missteps.  Every once in a while, I felt as if the tone ventured into moments of self-congratulation (like about "parenting" wins), but then those moments were off-set by self-criticism where the author felt it was due.  I found the effect touching and the author/narrator likeable.  (Though someone needs to coach her on not pronouncing the verb "affect" like the noun "affect.")