Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

Modern Romance
Aziz Ansari, Eric Klinenberg

Unresolved

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Audio) - Ransom Riggs, Jesse Bernstein

I am at a loss as to what star rating to give this one.  It was well on its way to the 3-4 range, having sucked me in right from the beginning.  But then it just stopped when I was expecting about 25% more story.  Everything was just left so...  Undone.  Which is a shame.  This book has a couple of my favorite things--creepy, half-bombed ruins of an old house and time travel.  But the author just stopped short of really finishing this.

Side note about the narrator:  He was generally pretty good, but he just really shouldn't take jobs that require British accents.  They are just "off" enough to be troubling, even to non-expert American ears.

Update:  D'oh!  The reason the book leaves everything so unresolved is that it is merely book one of a trilogy.  I had no idea.  Now I feel a bit foolish.  I'll still refrain from stars, though.  I kind of feel this could have been a stand-alone.  Maybe I'll change my mind if I read the rest, though.