Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
Mark Bramhall, Lev Grossman

Mixed Feelings on Girl Code

Girl Code: Unlocking the Secrets to Success, Sanity, and Happiness for the Female Entrepreneur - Cara Alwill Leyba

I was torn about whether to give this book two stars or three, so I split the difference and went with 2.5.  As suggested in my title, I had mixed feelings on this one.  I am a sucker for "cooperation instead of competition."  I am all for being supportive of others, inspired instead of envious.  I think the advice to create something that doesn't exist but that you wish did is a great concept.  But I get skittish about the buzzspeak on "limitless luxe"; that if you just tap into the abundance of the universe and let that universe know all the awesome stuff you want in your life, that benevolent universe will send it to you.  The "law of attraction" thing.  I haven't read The Secret, but apparently it can be credited/blamed for popularizing this concept.  Here is a quote from the article "‘The Secret’ Law of Attraction Doesn’t Work: Here’s Proof":

One of the most devious aspects of The Secret is that if someone fails to get what they want, The Secret dictates it is the person’s own fault. The Secret also blames cancer patients for manifesting negative energy and therefore causing their own cancer. It is this kind of victim-blaming mentality that makes this way of thinking so dangerous.

In addition to leading people into a destructive state of mind, psychologist Jenna Baddeley says that adopting the Law of Attraction as valid “promotes a relationship between the individual and the world that is akin to a glorified infancy.” She also says that believing that bad things are the fault of the person experiencing them leads people to a decreased state of empathy, since the victim is the one who is blamed for what’s happening to them.

That's what troubles me about this philosophy:  if you want things hard enough, you'll get them; if you don't get what you want, you must not have wanted hard enough/the right way, and if bad things happen in your life, you must have attracted those bad things with your bad, bad thoughts.  It also strikes me as an extremely privileged perspective.

The other troubling message I think someone might pick up from this book is that everyone needs to be an entrepreneur.  As if being an employee somewhere is at odds with self-actualization.  And I'm not saying that entrepreneurship can't be a great path, but not everyone should pursue it.  Yes, everyone has a unique perspective and singular skills of their own, but this doesn't translate into running a business for everyone.

And maybe I'm getting old and cranky, but the cutesy hashtag speak makes me cringe:  all the "girlboss" and "mompreneur" type lingo.

Having said all that, I do appreciate the value of establishing support networks, of giving as well as getting support.  And the interviews included do provide some inspiring stories (but why must the author keep asking her interviewees for their "personal mission statement"?).

This audiobook was only three hours and forty-six minutes long, so I expect the text version would be a quick one-sitting read for someone seeking a female-empowerment message.  Maybe pick it up in your library and leaf through a bit to see if this would hold value for you.