Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Teenage Brain: A Neuroscientist's Survival Guide to Raising Adolescents and Young Adults
Frances E. Jensen, Amy Ellis Nutt, Tavia Gilbert
Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain (Audio)
David Eagleman

Hear us ROAR

ROAR: How to Match Your Food and Fitness to Your Female Physiology for Optimum Performance, Great Health, and a Strong, Lean Body for Life - Stacy T. Sims, Selene Yeager

While I have read through the book (skipping over the pregnancy part, because I'm all done with that part of my life), I haven't tested/implemented all of the advice given.  However, I am impressed enough that I will probably buy a copy of this book, which I seldom do anymore--it has to be something I intend to reread or refer to regularly.

The main premise of ROAR is that women are not small men, so we shouldn't train, fuel, or recover like men.  Our bodies metabolize nutrients differently, we recover differently, regulate core temperature differently, and on top of that, our needs change according to where we are in our menstrual cycles or whether we are going through perimenopause or are menopausal.  Sims gives specific nutritional and training advice depending on these variables.

Definitely recommend this one for female athletes looking to work with, instead of against, their physiology.