Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
Mark Bramhall, Lev Grossman

Quiet

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - Susan  Cain, Kathe Mazur Everyone should read this book. Including my mom! (More on that later.) As the book demonstrates, extroverts and introverts can and should learn to play to one another's strengths, to reach compromises that allow them to accommodate one another's preferences and social styles. In doing so, they can truly complement one another, yin-and-yang style. Introversion is not a flaw that needs to be fixed, yet many introverts living in western cultures such as the U.S. are treated as if it is. My mother is one of those extroverts who thought of my introversion as something she needed to fix. If only I would "make an effort," I would make more friends, which would be desirable because it would give me more people to "rely on." The author at one point describes an extrovert urging an introvert to just "make an effort." It was me and my mom all over again... The book makes the point that introverts do enjoy socializing, but in their own way and on their own terms. They tend to enjoy talking one-on-one or in small groups, delving into deeper topics rather than dwelling on small talk. Educators and business recruiters tend to favor the traits of extroversion; however, they would be wise to learn to work with introverts and nurture their unique strengths. Whether you are an introvert or extrovert, you will benefit if you read this book. Whichever you are, you will learn strategies to help you with people like and unlike yourself.