Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Magician King (The Magicians #2)
Lev Grossman, Mark Bramhall

Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says about Us) - Tom Vanderbilt, Marc Cashman

You are not stuck in traffic.  You are traffic.

Most drivers are not nearly as proficient as they think they are.  Many drivers, based on their inflated sense of their own skills, think they can drive just as well, even if they divide their attention between their driving and their phones.  But they are (at times catastrophically) wrong.

Measures designed to make driving safer can actually make it more dangerous, since they facilitate faster driving and less attention to surroundings.

Individual drivers make choices based on their own self-interest, but those choices are often detrimental to the entire driving system, with the cumulative effect of slowing down traffic flow.

I found this book, overall, interesting and informative.  Certain facts were downright counter-intuitive.  At times, I felt I was being bogged down somewhat with the density of some of the data, but I think it's a worthwhile read/listen.

Still skeptical that roundabouts are safer for pedestrians.  My own personal example is a roundabout at an intersection that is part of one of my favorite running routes.  Several years back, the roundabout replaced traffic lights.  In my experience, the traffic lights provided a clarity that has been removed.  The road that I have to cross now has a crosswalk meant to stop westbound drivers entering the roundabout and another for eastbound drivers who have just exited it.  There is signage indicating that drivers must stop to allow pedestrians to cross.  I can't even tell you how often drivers roll right through, apparently not even considering the possibility of stopping for lowly on-foot travelers.  Usually, my only hope of crossing is if no drivers are close enough to be a problem.