Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Magician King (The Magicians #2)
Lev Grossman, Mark Bramhall

Three Wishes

Three Wishes - Liane Moriarty, Heather Wilds

Although this book was originally published in 2003, this audio edition came out in 2014.  Heather Wilds was the narrator.  Although Wilds was a perfectly pleasant and professional narrator, I couldn't help missing Caroline Lee.  I have come to think of her as the voice of Liane Moriarity's fiction, and she really adds a special element to Moriarty's work.

The narrative opens with a disastrous scene that takes place at the restaurant where the shared 34th-birthday celebration of triplets Lyn, Cat, and Gemma Kettle is taking place.  Fellow diners end up telling and retelling what becomes a piece of viral gossip, as suddenly one of the triplets has stuck a fondue fork into the pregnant belly of one of her sisters.  The waitress who has served the sisters recounts the scene from her own perspective, and then the narrative backs up and lays out a string of events, from multiple points of view, that lead to the events described in the opening.

I enjoyed getting to know Lyn, Cat, Gemma, her parents Maxine and Frank, Grandma Kettle along with spouses, children, and other associates.  As one might expect, the sisters have complicated relationships with one another, with both positive and detrimental effects.  All are facing crises and dilemmas, as they try to figure out what they should be doing with the rest of their lives.

As an aside, I will mention that one of the elements to the book was unrelated, random people would have "vignette" type recountings of having witnessed the triplets in some situation or other (at various stages in their lives--six-year-olds, teenagers, young adults, etc.).  It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that these were random observers--rather than a character who had just been speaking a moment ago, in the prior section.  And I'd wonder why the triplet this character had just been talking to wouldn't jump in and say, "Oh, right, that was US."  I think this is one of those instances where a narrative device would have been much more obvious in print!

So, I do recommend this book--particularly for readers who already enjoy Liane Moriarty.  This was, I believe, her first novel, and she hadn't quite matured into the "Liane Moriarty" voice of books like The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies, but this is a worthy read, nonetheless.