Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

One Hundred Years of Solitude (Audio)
Gabriel García Márquez, John Lee

You'll Grow Out of It

You'll Grow Out of It - Jessi Klein

A collection of humorous autobiographical essays from Jessi Klein, head writer for The Amy Schumer Show.  I had not heard of Jessi Klein before stumbling upon this audio book, and I enjoyed her voice (both authorial and audio-narrative).  I frequently laughed out loud like a crazy person.  I was less fond of the direction she took with her "Get the Epidural" essay, because I felt it ended up being a little bit overly bombastic in its "GET THE EPIDURAL" refrain.  I agree that no one should be shamed for wanting one, but it felt as though she went too far in the opposite direction.  Like you'd have to be stupid to even consider not getting one.  Personally, I had planned to try labor and delivery without one, while keeping it as an option if I felt the need.  Ultimately, my entire birth plan went out the window, as I ended up with a c-section due to fetal distress.  Klein makes a very brief disclaimer along the lines of, "If you really want to give birth without an epidural, go for it," but that is pretty well drowned out by the frequent shout of "GET THE EPIDURAL!"

As Klein explains in the essays, she was single and dating when she began composing them, and got engaged, married, and pregnant, and became a new mom during the course of completing them.  "I'm a slow writer!"  I would definitely seek out a stand-up special by Jessi Klein, should one become available (are you listening, Netflix?).