Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

Needful Things
Stephen King
The Walking Dead, Vol. 30: New World Order
'Robert Kirkman', Stefano Gaudiano, Cliff Rathburn, Charlie Adlard

UNbelievable!

Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History - Katy Tur

Katy Tur was a London-based NBC foreign correspondent when her network assigned her to cover the Trump primary campaign.  Nobody expected the campaign to be long-lasting, let alone lead to Donald Trump becoming the Republican nominee--or winning the general election.

Nor could anything have prepared her for the surreal experience of reporting on the many rallies she attended, the interviews, the ramblings on Twitter, and various other campaign events.  And then there were the times when Trump decided to single her out, complaining about the quality of her reporting, and encouraging his followers to rail against her.  The situation became so dire that Tur actually needed Secret Service agents to ensure her safety by walking her to her car.

The audiobook really flew by for me, and I enjoyed Tur's voice both in terms of her writing and her narration.  She relates her experiences and reactions to them with intelligence and humor.  She often had me laughing or scoffing, in reaction to the anecdotes shared in the narrative.  I also appreciated her emphasis on the importance of journalism, not only for keeping the public informed of current events, but also for creating an accurate historical record.