Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Teenage Brain: A Neuroscientist's Survival Guide to Raising Adolescents and Young Adults
Frances E. Jensen, Amy Ellis Nutt, Tavia Gilbert
Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain (Audio)
David Eagleman

The Graphic Novel with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Vol. 1 - Denise Mina, Leonardo Manco, Andrea Mutti, Stieg Larsson

I tore through The Millennium Trilogy, and since I love graphic novels, I was enthused to see that there was a graphic-novel adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1).  Unfortunately, I ended up just being "meh" about this book. A review I read for this book noted that the art is uneven and I have to agree. The cover art is beautiful, but what's inside doesn't quite live up to its promise. I noticed that the pages featuring Lisbeth are well drawn, but the ones featuring Mikhael Blomkvist seem flat and unnuanced. There are panels where I have a hard time distinguishing him from Martin Vanger (of all people), and I have a hard time reconciling his appearance with the handsome description that Larsson had attributed to him. I noticed that there are two artists credited for this book, so I can't help wondering if one of them did the "Lisbeth" scenes and the other did the "Mikhael" scenes. The two characters do not meet in this volume, so I can't help wondering what happens when they get to together in the next. Do the two artists simply divide the work in half?

As for the writing, it felt too condensed. I understand the challenges of adapting a thick novel into two slim graphic-novel volumes, but it seems as though too much of the storytelling was sacrificed in this version. For example, the first scene between Lisbeth and Nils Bjurman in his office (spoiler for original novel) where he forces her to perform oral sex on him is left out, so there is no motivation for her to bring the video camera when she meets him in his apartment. Also, I don't understand why the writer changes the tattoo that Lisbeth gets on her ankle after Bjurman's sexual assault.

I definitely do not plan to go out of my way to read the second volume, but if I happen to see it at the library, I might pick it up and have a look.