Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Teenage Brain: A Neuroscientist's Survival Guide to Raising Adolescents and Young Adults
Frances E. Jensen, Amy Ellis Nutt, Tavia Gilbert
Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain (Audio)
David Eagleman

Delirium

Delirium - Lauren Oliver

On the face of it, the premise for Lauren Oliver's Delirium is implausible. An alternate version of the U.S. has determined that love is an illness (amor deliria) that requires a mandated surgical cure for all of its citizens, upon turning 18? Really? But Oliver's worldbuilding sold the idea to me--especially with her use of chapter epithets consisting of excerpts from her imagined society's official publications and folklore, as well as quotes from our world's literature repackaged as belonging to the government's "Comprehensive Compilations of Dangerous Words and Ideas."

There are certain twists that I was able to guess before they occurred, but that didn't really bother me. Lena's insistence that she was an "in-between girl" (nothing special, neither pretty nor ugly) gave me a bit of a "Bella Swan" flashback, but Lena is a much more engaging character than Bella is.

I will definitely read the next two books in the series, Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) and Requiem (Delirium, #3).