Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
Mark Bramhall, Lev Grossman

The Girl Who Played With Fire

The Girl Who Played with Fire - Stieg Larsson

As I have noted in my review for The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, I have a hard time reviewing this book and its follow-up as two separate novels. In my mind, they are two halves of a continuous story.

In Played With Fire, the reader learns much more about Lisbeth's Salander's background, including how she came to be under guardianship and officially classified as not competent to govern her own affairs. As Mikael Blomkvist notes when he becomes aware of the facts, Salander's civil rights have been violated, and the Swedish government should be held responsible. But will those violations ever be proven and will restitution ever be offered?

These are questions set up in this installment, but you won't approach getting them answered until the next. Before you can get there, murderers must be identified, and circumstantial evidence is not in Salander's favor. Blomkvist will, of course, do everything he can to help her (even if she is reluctant to accept any help from him), while also plotting the articles and books he will ultimately write.

And just when things are really exciting, the book ends, so you will want to have access to Hornet's Nest as soon as you finish Played with Fire. You have been warned.