Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

Why Not Me?
B.J. Novak, Greg Daniels, Mindy Kaling

Mr. Monk on Patrol

Mr. Monk on Patrol - Lee Goldberg

Near the end of the eighth and final season of the show, viewers learned that Randy Disher had accepted an offer to become chief of police in Summit, New Jersey and would be moving in with Sharona Fleming, Monk's former assistant and nurse. Randy and Sharona had been pursuing a romance off-screen.

In Mr. Monk on Patrol, Chief Leland Stottlemeyer informs Monk and current assistant Natalie Teeger that Randy needs their help. Because of a financial scandal involving local government, Randy is acting mayor while also continuing as chief of police. Usually there is little to no crime in sleepy Summit, but lately there has a been a string of burglaries. With scrutiny from the state government, he really needs Monk's detecting skills. Monk is, as usual, reluctant to travel, but Sharona arrives in person to apply her own brand of persuasion.

The "Monk" books, like the show, generally fit a pattern (I hate to say "formula" because that sounds pejorative, and I don't mean it that way). Readers who, like me, have read all of the other books will find the usual building blocks of a "Monk" mystery, but with enough new elements to keep things interesting. And it's fun to catch up with Randy and Sharona. Monk even experiences some rather surprising personal growth.

There is a cliffhanger of sorts at the end, but not the annoying kind that will make you want to throw the book across the room because you've invested your time in completing the book only to find that nothing has been resolved. The mysteries are resolved, but Monk and Natalie both have intriguing decisions to make. I'll be very curious to find out what they choose when Goldberg publishes his next installment.