Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
Mark Bramhall, Lev Grossman

The Elephant Vanishes

The Elephant Vanishes - Haruki Murakami, John Chancer

I confess: I've developed a literary crush on Haruki Murakami. Here's an aside: when I was listening to the audio recording of his book What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, and he mentioned his novels, I was thinking I've got to check some of them out. After posting my review of that book here, I clicked the link on his name, and realized I'd already read (or rather listened to) one of them: Kafka on the Shore.

Anyway, I downloaded the audiobook of The Elephant Vanishes so I could listen to it on my runs. (I kind of think Murakami would appreciate that!) I'm not sure if he has any involvement with casting the voice actors for his books, but whoever does has a knack for finding narrators who really fit the text they are reading.

The stories in the collection have a way of mixing the strange, surreal, sometimes unsettling logic of dreams with the concrete and grounded in a way that you can almost expect that the more fantastical elements might actually happen to someone. The only misgiving I had, with some of the stories, is that they came to an abrupt stop (which I realize is a very postmodern approach) instead of having a more traditional end. There were times where I found myself thinking, "Wait! Then what happened!" But that didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying the collection and recommending it highly. I'm also ready to go on a "Murakami" binge.