Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Teenage Brain: A Neuroscientist's Survival Guide to Raising Adolescents and Young Adults
Frances E. Jensen, Amy Ellis Nutt, Tavia Gilbert
Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain (Audio)
David Eagleman

Dream Student: Dreams, Book 1 (Volume 1)

Dream Student - J.J. DiBenedetto,  Ami Low (Illustrator)

It's the fall semester, 1989, and Sara Barnes is a junior enrolled in her university's pre-med program. One night she has someone else's dream, one that demonstrates its dreamer, a freshman named Brian, is clearly very attracted to her. Soon they meet and discover that their connection goes beyond dream-sharing. But this turns out to be just the beginning. At first, Sara having other people's dreams is merely a case of having way too much information about classmates' subconcious minds. But before too long, she is witnessing more sinister dreams, from the mind of someone who is killing young women. How can she figure out who he is and find a way to stop him?

The idea of having other people's dreams is one that has fascinated me for a long time. One April a couple of years ago, I even wrote a "Script Frenzy" script for a graphic novel, where a group of characters realize they are having one another's dreams. In my story, their dream swaps could be traced back to a study they all participated in, where they were unknowingly implanted with chips that caused their dreams to transmit to one another. And the whole thing kind of devolved into a hot mess involving reality TV, and I never returned to the script. BUT. I still find the dream-transmission idea fascinating. J. J. DiBenedetto does a much better job with it than I did in my sad little attempt!

One thing that was kind of fun for me is that Sara is just a year younger than I am, though she is two years behind where I was in undergrad. She does have an October birthday, so I guess her parents would have had a choice to let her be one of the oldest or one of the youngest students, and they must have gone with older. The book is mostly told in first-person present tense, and I felt that Sara had a likeable narrative voice. Her dreams are narrated in third person.

I listened to the audiobook version of this novel, and I found the narrator's delivery a little bit slow and almost sleepy, as if she were just waking up from one of Sara's dreams. What I did was adjust the reading speed to 1.5X, and once I did that, I thought the narrating sounded fine.

I recommend this book to people who have a strong interest in dreams.

[I received a free copy of this audiobook from the author, in exchange for an honest review.]