Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Teenage Brain: A Neuroscientist's Survival Guide to Raising Adolescents and Young Adults
Frances E. Jensen, Amy Ellis Nutt, Tavia Gilbert
Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain (Audio)
David Eagleman

SHATTERED to Be Leaving These Characters Behind

Shattered - Teri Terry

I was so excited to finally get my hands on this final installment of the Slated trilogy.  I can't even express how frustrating it was to know that UK readers had this book in their possession so far ahead of the US.

Before she was Slated, Kyla Davis was known as Lucy Connor.  After her abduction at age ten by the AGT (Antigovernment Terrorists), but before being Slated, she was known as Rain.  As Shattered opens, she is being given another new identity and cover story.  She is to be known as Riley Kain, an eighteen-year old who is to live in a group home for under-21 young women, Waterfall House for Girls, while enrolled in CAS (Cumbrian Apprenticeship Scheme).*  The director of the home is Stella Connor, the mother Lucy/Rain/Kyla/Riley does not remember from her life to age ten.

While living at the home, our heroine begins to regain more of her lost memories, and before long she pieces together evidence suggesting that her past is even more complicated than she had ever suspected, and that the situations she has faced were orchestrated on levels she never would have imagined possible.  Along the way, she discovers that the government enforcers known as Lorders have been committing atrocities that they would never want the public to know about.  Can she make evidence of those atrocities known?  With the stakes become ever higher, Kyla struggles to become part of the solution that could end the current government's reign of terror.

This final installment in the trilogy wrapped up the story in a way I found satisfying.  Although there was a somewhat idealistic about face at a very high level of government, Terry took pains to avoid wrapping things up too neatly.  There are messy loose ends, and some painful losses, as there should be, but also a sense of triumph.  And as I suggested in my title for this post, I am sad to say goodbye to these characters and this world.

*It's kind of a fun coincidence that I recently posted on the issue of [premature] adulthood in YA dystopian novels.  Teri Terry did exactly what I suggested a YA dystopian author should do:  create a world where official adulthood is delayed rather than pushed ever earlier.  In the Slatedverse, young adults under 21 must live in group homes.