Mirkat

Mirkat Always Reading

I'm always reading something, usually multiple books at a time.

The Teenage Brain: A Neuroscientist's Survival Guide to Raising Adolescents and Young Adults
Frances E. Jensen, Amy Ellis Nutt, Tavia Gilbert
Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain (Audio)
David Eagleman

Reading progress update: I've read ??? out of ??? pages.

License to Spill - Lisi Harrison

[The pages in this book are not consistently numbered!]

Hey, did you know that teenagers LOVE to make PUNS?  Like COMPULSIVELY?  No?  That's because you don't live in Lisi Harrison's bizarro world, where the kids are all about the cascading wordplay (and I'm so glad to not live in that world).  It's one of the irritating things about her Clique series, though I don't recall it being so pronounced in Pretenders.  It seems to me it's back with a vengeance in License to Spill.  (In case you have not guessed, this is not my favorite kind of humor.)

Another thing I will mention is something that strains credulity.  Early on, Jagger reveals in his journal that he has been lying to everyone, about just about everything.

He's not an emancipated minor with parents on death row for (REALLY?!?!?!) beating up a bully.  His name is actually Daniel Ponnowitz, the scion of a family business called Legacy Hygienics.  One day in a middle-school career day, while not-Jagger was extolling the virtues of Legacy, a girl in the audience shouted out that his family makes (GASP) tampons.  And he became the target of incessant teasing as a result, right down to a classmate renaming him "DanPonn" (because PUNS).  Anyway, he somehow reinvents himself as emancipated-minor Jagger for his new life in a new school district.  But wouldn't he have had to register under his real name, with his parents involved in the process?

(show spoiler)

Oh, and also, the prologue.  "X" (the student who is supposed to have photocopied and distributed all the journals of the "Phoenix Five"), makes a defensive reference to "your comments online."  [Hi, Lisi!]  "'Pretenders had zero resolution.' 'You call that an ending?!' [. . .] "Simply Put that was 292 pages of cliff-hanger, 0 pages of closure.'"  Then s/he goes on to promise that "License to Spill will be much more satisfying.  I ended Pretenders abruptly to see if you wanted more."  But wait a minute.  The conceit of this trilogy, as I've mentioned, is that "X" photocopied and distributed the private journals of the five freshman who'd been designated the "Phoenix Five."  But now are we to believe that the photocopied journals have been subdivided into three installments?  Bwuh?